Sing with us
There are about thirty of us in the Saint Cecilia Singers, men and women, from a wide range of backgrounds and
experience. We aim for the highest standards, performing about eight concerts a year with commitment and passion. We
demand a lot of our conductor and ourselves, presenting a wide and often challenging repertoire, and we hope this
results in a rewarding and uplifting experience for the choir and for our audiences.
As you'll see from our recent concerts, our repertoire includes sacred and
secular choral music from the Renaissance to the present day.
There are evensongs and other sung services, not just at
but on visits, most recently, to Bath Abbey, Durham Cathedral, Exeter Cathedral and Westminster Abbey.
In May 2018 we will be singing in Norwich Cathedral.
You will see orchestral concerts too, such as the stunning performance of the Poulenc Gloria under Stephen Layton as
part of the 2013 Cheltenham Festival, and the world premiere of Philip Lancaster's War Requiem commissioned for the
2016 Three Choirs Festival. As well as these highly valued invitations, we aim to promote
a large scale orchestral work ourselves every 3 years.
We rehearse on Tuesday evenings in Gloucester and perform at least twice in Gloucester Cathedral every year. Entry
to the choir is by audition and we are always keen to hear new voices. If we do not have an immediate vacancy for
your voice we will happily put you on our waiting list. If you would like to be considered, please do complete the
contact form to arrange an audition.
For information regarding our policies on safeguarding children and vulnerable people, please refer to our
Safeguarding Policy page.
Explore our past concerts below - for upcoming concerts, take a look at our
- 6th May 2018: Parry Festival Chamber Concert - Gloucester Cathedral
- 7th & 8th April 2018: Saint Cecilia Singers Tour - Norwich Cathedral
- 16th December 2017: À la venue de Noël - Gloucester Cathedral
- 9th December 2017: Christmas Concert - St Mary's Church, Kingswood
- 4th November 2017: "The Book of Hours" - Cirencester Parish Church
- 8th April 2017: Evensong and Concert for the Eve of Palm Sunday - Gloucester Cathedral
- 11th March 2017: "In Praise of Spring" - St Mary de Lode Church
- 17th December 2016: Ave Rex - Gloucester Cathedral
- 11th December 2016: Christmas Concert - Royal West of England Academy, Bristol
- 29th October 2016: Crowning Glories - Gloucester Cathedral
- 28th July 2016: Three Choirs Evensong
(Music included the winning entry in the Sanders' Society Composing competition) - Gloucester Cathedral
- 24th July 2016: Howells: Requiem and Philip Lancaster: War Passion (Festival Commission) -
Cirencester Parish Church, Three Choirs Festival
- 12th March 2016: Celebration of English music in aid of the Holst Birthplace Museum -
Holst, Gibbons, Purcell, Stanford, Parry, Vaughan Williams - All Saints' Church, Cheltenham
- 19th December 2015: Temps de Noël - Gloucester Cathedral
- 17th October 2015: Vaughan Williams Mass in G minor, with anthems and motets by Purcell and Stanford
- SS Philip and James, Leckhampton
- 11th October 2015: Evensong - Gloucester Cathedral